Mānuka Honey is a type of honey that is native to New Zealand. It’s produced by bees collecting the nectar of the Mānuka flower, during the flowering season, which is typically from October through to February. Over the time, the nectar gets converted into honey in the hives.
Mānuka Honey’s anti-bacterial properties are what set it apart from the remainder of the traditional honeys. Methylglyoxal (MGO) is the active ingredient that is responsible for its high-anti-bacterial attributes. It has anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant benefits and has traditionally been used to treat sore throats, wound healing, gastric ulcers and improving digestive issues.
Our top 7 reasons to have Manuka honey are
- Loaded with antioxidants (please refer to our BIO rating), it offers protection against free radical damage, while helping keep skin hydrated and soft. You can make it into a scrub or use it as a facemask to exfoliate and fight free radicals in the skin.
- Manuka honey is the perfect natural alternative for curing acne and skin infections because of its anti-bacterial properties.
- Relief from eczema – The anti-inflammatory properties of Manuka honey help fight eczema and other irritations on the skin when applied topically and wash away with lukewarm water.
- Improves digestion – helps keep bloating and gas at bay. It also helps with reducing symptoms of indigestion and gastric ulcers. Manuka honey soothes the lining of the stomach, helps nurture the gut’s good bacteria and may help the digestive system naturally rebalance itself.
- Due to its high anti-bacterial activity, it enhances immunity and improves overall health. It helps with strep throat, and cold symptoms.
- Great allergy relief – Regular consumption of Manuka honey may help ease the symptoms of seasonal allergies like hay fever and promote good health and wellness all year round.
- Wound healing – Due to it being an anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory powerhouse, it is a great remedy for treatment of minor burns, cuts and abrasions.